It can be hard to perform any kind of exercise when your knee hurts because IT HURTS! Here are two simple exercises you can do if your experiencing knee pain from your Camas sports chiropractor!
Banded Knee Extension
The banded knee extension is super-easy and gentle on irritated knees. The reason I like this exercise is that: 1) You are in control 2) You can easily modify the difficulty level 3) You can keep it in your toolbox as a warm-up for more difficult multi-joint movements like squats or lunges later when your knee is feeling better.
How To Do It:
- Attach a band to a solid object (make sure it's not going to fly across the room at you!).
- Extend your knee squeezing your quads. You can hold the contraction for 2-3 seconds.
- Make it harder by taking a wider lunge stance or easier by standing up taller.
Single Leg Deadlift
This is a great exercise PERIOD but I like it for the knee for 2 reasons: 1) It helps with quad tightness! How, by strengthening what opposes the quads, the hip extensors! 2) It allows you to work on your knee without taking it into large ranges of motion and can even be done with just body weight.
How To Do It:
- Hold a weight (or don't) in your opposite hand.
- Unlock your knee so it is in a "soft" position (with a slight flex to it).
- Hinge around your hip, keeping your chest up.
- At this point, your torso should be in a neutral position and you shouldn't be flexing through your low back.
- Lower the weight straight to the ground, don't reach for it.
- Contract your glutes really hard on the way back up
*Don't worry about lowering the weight all the way to the ground. If this is your first time doing this, think about performing this exercise slow, smooth and shallow. You may even need to stand next to a wall for balance. Heavy weight all the way to the ground will come with time.
If any of the above advice aggravates your knee symptoms, don't do them! They may not be the right exercises for you.
Need More Help?
Have questions? leave it in the comments below or better yet, swing by the office for a free 15-minute consultation and lets talk about your knee.
Victory Spine and Sport is a sports chiropractic clinic in Camas, WA. Specializing in working with active people or people who want to become active.