Mid-back pain is a common complaint that presents to our chiropractic office in Camas Washington. It often begins with spending long hours sitting, poor posture, and a lack of thoracic ("t-spine") mobility. It can be on one side of your back or both and a lot of mid back discomfort is located right between the bottom of your shoulder blades.
The most common mid-back pain that presents to our office is from desk workers who spend a lot of time sitting at the computer. Often we hear that they have tried stretching, standing more frequently, and even changing up their work station but still cannot find any long lasting relief.
Today, I'm going to provide some tools for you to use against your back pain by sharing a couple of my favorite exercises that I often prescribe from our Camas chiropractic office.
Why Do I Like the Following 2 Exercises?
Because they require minimal equipment (a ball) and can be performed virtually anywhere! It's often difficult to take specialized equipment or find space at your workplace to do anything about those annoying mid back issues. Not our problem today, these exercises can be performed in you office or at your desk.
We're going to take a two-pronged approach to the mid back by focusing on both the muscles and the joints in separate exercises.
For those tight muscles...
We can use a ball (I prefer lacrosse ball) against a wall and do the following:
1) While leaning with your back against a wall, place a ball between your spine and shoulder blade.
2) Bring your arm out to the side.
3) Roll the ball around and find a spot that feels "tight" and apply some gentle (non-painful) pressure into the wall.
4) Reach your arm really wide in front of you. Try and bring your shoulder blade far away from the spine.
5) Repeat, for 3 reps on each "tight spot"
For those stiff joints...
We can start by performing the Wall-Lean Exercise:
1) Pull your chair up to a wall or your desk
2) Place your hands on the wall/desk
3) Forehead on the back of your hands
4) Bring your chest toward the wall, you should feel a stretch in your mid-back.
5) Try doing about 10-15, 3-seconds holds.
I hope these exercises help provide some relief. Feel free to browse the rest of our helpful videos HERE. If you want need more help, you can always come into the office in Camas for a free 15 minute consultation to learn about possible treatment options or just provide your email below and you'll be sent other helpful tips and videos from Dr. Henry.
Want to be emailed our latest tips and videos right when they come out? Sign up for our email list!
Dr. Henry is a sports chiropractor in Camas Washington who specializes in helping his community by helping and teaching people how they can be active and pain free!